Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti librarian syllabus
NVS librarian syllabus
Part iv: Foundation of Library & Information Science.
Unit.1. Library as a Social Institution
– Social & Historical foundations of Library.
– Different types of libraries- Academic, Public, Special –their distinguishing features and functions.
– Role of U.G.C. for development of Academic libraries.
– Role in Library of formal and informal education. Shivaji University, Kolhapur
Unit.2 Normative Principles of Lib. & Inf. Science
– Five Laws of Library Science.
– Implications of five laws in Lib. & Inf. Science
– Development of Libraries with special reference to India, Baroda Public Library system
– Library Co-operation Resource Sharing and Library Networking.
Unit 3. Laws relating to Libraries & Inforamion.
– Library legislation need and essential features.
– Library legislation in India.
– Maharashtra Public Library Act.
– Press and registration act & Delivery of Books act (Public Library).
– Copyright act, Intellectual Property rights.
Unit.4 Library and information Profession
– Attribution of profession.
– Librarianship as a profession.
– Professional ethics.
– Professional associations & their role.
– National & International Library Associations- FID, IFLA, LA, ILA, ALA, IASLIC etc.
– Professional education & research.
Unit.5 Promoters of Library & Information services
– National level promoters- RRRLF.
– International level promoters- UNESCO
Unit 6. Public relations & Extension activities
– facets and programs.
– publicity & extension, Out reach activities.
– Library path finders (Guides)
– Factors affecting Library development, Literacy, publishing, Book Trade.
Part II : Knowledge Organization, Information Processing & Retrieval.
Unit. 1. Universe of Knowledge
– Structure and attributes.
– Modes of formation of subjects.
– Different types of subjects.
– Universe of subjects as mapped in different schemes of classification.
Unit. 2 Bibliographic description
– Catalogue purpose, Structure and types physical forms including OPAC filling rules.
– Normative Principles of cataloguing.
– Overview of principles and practice in document description.
– Current trends in Standardization, description and exchange.
– Standard codes of cataloguing.
Unit. 3. Methods of Knowledge Organization
– General theory of Library Classification.
– Normative principles of classification and their application.
– Species of Library Classification.
– Standard Schemes of Classifications and their features, CC, DDC, UDC.
– Notation: Need, Functions, Characteristics
– Design and development of schemes of Library Classification, Standard sub-division Index.
– Trends in Library Classification.
Unit.4. Subject Classification
– Principles of Subject Classification.
– Subject heading lists and their feature.
Part III: Information Technology: Basic
Unit.1 Information Technology
– Definition, Need, Scope and Objectives.
Unit. 2 Computer Basic
– Introduction to Computers
– Overview of Historical Development of Computers.
– Generations of Computers, Classification of Computers.
– Essential Components of Computer system.
Unit.3 Computer Architecture-Organization of Computer
– Input and Output devices- Keyboard, Scanner, OCR, Printers, Monitor
Unit. 4. Software.
– Operating systems: Single & Multi User Systems, Basic features of MS-DOS, MS Windows, Linux,
UNIX, Windows NT etc.
– Programming Languages: Concepts and Tools
– Algorithm & Flowcharting.
Unit. 5 MS-Office package
Unit. 6 DBMS Package
– Familiarity with DBASE, FOXPRO, CDS/ISIS, SOUL, MS Access (Basic features)
Unit 7. Computer application to library & Information work
– House keeping operations
Unit 8. Communication Technology
– Communication Technology Basic Concepts
– Networking: Basic Concepts.
Part IV: Management of Libraries & Information Centres/Institutions
– Concepts, definition and scope.
– Management styles and approaches.
– Management schools of thought.
– Functions and principles of Scientific Management.
Unit.2 Human Resource Management
– Organizational structure.
– Delegation, Communication and Participation.
– Job Description and Analysis, Job evaluation.
– Inter-personal relation.
– Recruitment procedures.
– Motivation, group Dynamics.
– Training and Development.
– Disciplines and Grievances.
– Performance Appraisal.
Unit.3. Financial Management
– Resources Mobilization
– Budgeting Techniques and Methods PPBS, Zero Based Budgeting etc.
– Budgetary Control.
– Cost effectiveness and Cost Benefit analysis.
Unit. 4 Reporting
– Types of reports, Annual report-compilation, Contents and style.
– Library Statistics etc.
Unit 5 System Analysis and Design
– Library as a system
– Project Management PERT/COM
– Decision Tables.
– Performance evaluation standards, MIS.
– Performance Measurement, reengineering, Time and Motion
– SWOT ( Strength Weakness Opportunities Threat)
– DFD (Data Flow Diagram)
Unit 6. Total Quality Management (TQM)
– Definition, Concept, Element
– Quality Audit, LIS related standards.
– Technology Management.
Unit. 7 Library House Keeping Operations.
– Different sections of Library & Information Center and their functions.
– Collection Development and Management Policies Procedures.
– Book Ordering (Acquisition)
– Technical Processing.
– Serials Control, Circulation Control, Maintenance etc.
– Stock Verification- Policies and Procedures.
– Evaluation and Weeding.
– Restoration including Print, Non-Print and Electronic Materials.
– Concept, Definition, Need and Purpose, Types.
– Policies and Procedures, MBO
– Building and Space management in Libraries and Information Centers.
– Library Building, Interior & Exterior, Furniture, Equipment’s, Standards & Types.
– Risk Management, Contingency Management.
– Planning of related Infrastructure, Library Standards.
Unit 9. Management of change.
– Concept of change.
– Changes in Procedures, Methods, Tools and Techniques.
– Problems of Incorporating Change.
– Techniques of Managing Change.
Part V: Information Sources & Services
Unit 1. Reference and information sources.
– Documentary Sources of Information, Print, Non-Print including
Electronic: Special features, Scope, types
– Nature, Characteristic, Utility and evaluation of different types of Information sources: Physical
formats, Authority, Content, Utility.
– Non-Documentary Information Sources.
– Reference Sources Categories, Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Information Sources.(Encyclopedia,
Dictionary, Periodical, Thesis, Books, Year book, Patents, Trade literature, standards, Monographs,
Reference Books, Year Books, Almanac, Atlas, Abstracting & Indexing periodicals, Bibliographies,
– Internet as a Source of Information.
Unit.2. Reference Service.
– Concept, Definition, Need, Scope and trends.
– Reference Interview and Search Techniques.
Unit 3. Information Services and Products
– Information services and Products.
– Information services concepts, Definition, Need and trends.
– Need, Techniques and Evaluation of Alerting services (CAS&SDI)
– Bibliographic, Referral, Document Delivery and Translation Services.
Unit.4. Information System and their Services.
– Study of National, International and Commercial Information Systems and Services- Background,
their Services and Products.
Part VI: Library Users
Unit 1. Techniques of Library and Information Centres Survey.
– Proforma method.
– Interview method.
– Records analysis method.
Unit.2. Information users and their information Needs
– Categories of Information users.
– Information needs definition and models.
– Information seeking behaviour.
Unit.3 User Education
– Goals and Objectives level, Techniques and Methods, Evaluation of Users Education Programmes.
Unit. 4. User Studies.
– Methods and techniques of User studies.
– Evaluation of User studies.
Unit 5. User Orientation Programmes:
– Conventional and modern Techniques: Study tour, Newsletters, Handbooks, Leaflets, Powerpoint
Presentation, Websites etc
More Details Pdf Download Here